Welcome to Saturday Nite Special #60, the fav Christmas recipe edition!
If you’re new here, join in! There are three categories to link to. Home Decor as well as Crafts, Sewing, Recipes, plus the 3rd themed link up. Check below for this weekend’s theme.
Party starts Fri night and ends Sunday 11pm pacific, so you have all weekend to join!
I LOVE to highlight inspiring posts during the event on the sidebar, so make sure you check in several times over the weekend. You may be next. 🙂
~ your one fav Christmas recipe ~
Most of us have at least one fav thing we love to make around the holidays. And without hesitation, this is mine!
peppermint sugar cookies
Happy Valentine’s Day! I cheated. 🙂 I’m showing you our Feb edition until I bake our trees and stars this year. Same recipe, diff cutters and decor! 🙂 Hey, at least the batter’s in the fridge!
why I love them
The texture in these cookies is incredible! They *poof* in your mouth and disintegrate on contact. And are equally delicious frozen too. 🙂
– tiny bit of pure peppermint in the cookies AND icing, but don’t overdo it!
– roll out on the thicker side, texture is better
– slightly under bake so bottoms are white
– ice them different colors so you have a wonderful visual! (I use soft hues of yellow, pink, green, and blue)
son (on right) and friend getting cookie creative in 2009
making the same cookies waaay back in the day with my helper. 🙂
Rolled Sugar Cookies
(I always double the recipe, but here’s the single)
2 cups flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter or margarine
1/3 c shortening
1 tbsp milk
a drop or 2 of pure peppermint extract
– beat butter and shortening for 30 seconds, add sugar and beat till *fluffy.
(*this is the key, beat till you see froth, that’s what makes these cookies so light)
– add egg, milk, peppermint, beat well.
– add flour and baking powder and pinch of salt
– beat or mix till well blended
– roll out, cut, bake 375 for *8 min
(* I bake them slightly underdone (350 for 9 min) so they are white on the bottom)
powdered/icing sugar whipped with butter and milk
1 or 2 drops (taste it) of pure peppermint extract
food colour of choice
decorate each cookie right after frosting it
recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
year – ancient
Need some gift ideas?
Check out my favs, along with some deals in
~ Upcoming December Themes ~
Dec 17 – your full home Christmas decor reveal (link open until Dec 25 2010)
Dec 24 – No theme. Just let’er rip! SNS will be up for those loving the extra browse, however I won’t likely be highlighting or commenting. It’s time for family. 🙂
Dec 31 – Share this years’ Christmas story (link open until Jan 7 2011)
I hope you’ll join in the fun!
Be sure to check the themed linkups master list to add your newest creations anytime.
~ SNS blah blah linkup rules ~
1. Please link up your intended post, NOT your blog homepage url. (post, then click the title of your post, then cut and paste that url) If your post has been deleted, please try again.
2. Please put a link in your post (button or text) that leads back to the party so others can see what’s up! (see BUTTONS label under main blog header)
3. This party is geared for DIY type projects we can all attempt to make ourselves. Items for sale may be linked up IF your entry is posted on your blog and in tutorial style.
4. For Home Decor and Crafts, Sewing, Cooking, please link projects up that are new to SNS and/or within 1 month old. This helps keep content fresh!
The 3rd weekly themed link may have older posts and not brand new to SNS and will remain open for your new additions at any time. Click HERE for the main list.
If you can’t decide which category to enter yours in, please just pick ONE and go with it. It’s all good!