When a teen bakes – Spaghetti Sauce Buns. A delicious and easy lunch or snack made with buns, cold cuts, cheese and sauce.
When a teen bakes – Spaghetti Sauce Buns
son – “Do we have meat? And buns? And cheese?”
me – “Yup!”
son – “I have an idea…”
I love it when my boy is hungry. It generally makes him creative with kitchen ingredients we have on hand. And today was our lucky day! A hungry boy plus fresh incredients from the deli equals a new creation we loved!
So this was our dinner tonight.
What to stock
We normally stock fresh buns from our local deli, and always seem to have freshly-cut cold cuts on hand, however normally they have been used in short order to throw a quick bun-and-cheese combo together.
However this is different and so good!
Spaghetti Sauce Buns are similar to pizza buns, but with a small tweak of ingredients. Basically put, this is what we had on hand, and they turned out positively delicious!
However, I do think the higher quality your ingredients are, the better they taste.
The quality ingredients we used:
- freshly baked buns from our local deli
- deli cut ham while you wait (vs. prepackaged)
- sliced fresh cheese from our local deli
- homemade spaghetti sauce made with tomato juice, garlic cloves, garlic powder
But what I love most about this recipe is the fact that my kiddo improvised it together himself! It’s fast, easy, and of course, the total bonus is, it is delicious.
And if my teen kiddo can make them on his own, even better!
But the key is baking them. Don’t skip that part.
PS: Warning: make MORE than you think you’ll want. You’re welcome.
Here’s how he made them:
When a teen bakes - Spaghetti Sauce Buns
- buns of choice
- cheese of choice (we used monterey jack)
- deli meat of choice (we used old fashioned ham)
- spaghetti sauce (we used homemade meatless)
- Cut buns open.
- Spread both sides of bun surfaces with spaghetti sauce.
- Cover sauce with ham slices.
- Top with cheese.
- Add more spaghetti sauce.
- Broil on top rack on low, only until cheese starts to bubble.
Think you may give this easy pizza-styled recipe a go?